Friday, June 19, 2009

Cars Start But Battery is Weak

Yesterday I drove to my parent's house to figure out what was wrong with my car. If you can recall when I left the house last week I disconnected the negative to make sure that the battery wouldn't be drained. When I got back to the house and tried to connect the negative terminal, the car still wouldn't start. So I decided that I would take the battery to Kragen and see if they can recharge it... I handed over the battery to the employee and he told me that they cannot charge Optima batteries. The Optima batteries will overload the quick charger. He recommended that I purchase a slow charge battery charger. Although it will take longer than normal it will charge the battery. So I purchased the charger since it was fairly inexpensive.

Before I hooked up the battery and I wanted to see if i can fire up the car. So I jump started the Supra with the Echo. It fired up with no problem. I let the car warm for a while since it was sitting for a while. After a few minutes I turned off the car to see if I can start it up again... But it didn't start. So I'm assuming the battery is really low.

I hooked up the battery charger... It'll take about a day to charge half the battery. So hopefully it will work next time I start it up.