Saturday, May 19, 2007

road trip to OC, North Hollywood, stanton: part 1

today was the road trip i was planning the beginning of the week.

as a recap from my previous post about my cd changer. i've been looking on ebay for a suitable short term replacement. i already had an alpine head unit in mine after seeing them in person at best buy. they looked really clean. justin my bro has an alpine head unit and it works great. my main focus was the ipod compatability. theyre the pioneers of that technology. i was planning on purchasing an Alpine CDA9883 deck. i've looked through ebay and found a place in Santa Ana that had the one i was looking for at the right price. so i called up the place to see if they would allow local pick ups and told it me it wouldn't be a problem.

back to the road trip...

david, jon (MR2 guy), and i decided to go up there yesterday. we rented a ford focus from enterprise. when we arrived, we drove around the building a couple times to find the store. when we walked in the store reminded me of a small computer store. we looked around for a little bit and waited for somebody to assist me. i talked to the guy and asked if he had the Alpine headunit and mentioned that i saw it on ebay. he told me that he sold the last head unit today.

i was disappointed. i drove there from san diego to purchase it and now i couldn't get it. if i didn't get anything it would be a waste of a trip and gas. so i talked to him about other alternatives. there a couple of older alpine head units that were available. he asked me if i were stuck with alpine. i told him not really. i just wanted something with user friendly ipod compatability. he responded that the panasonics were the way to go if i wanted to go with the ipod. good thing i brought my ipod and asked if he were able to test it out on the test unit. after he showed me a comparison between the alpine and the panasonic. i realized that the panasonic provided the best ipod usability. it was a tad bit more than the alpine i wanted but i guess it will be worth it in the end.

so i ended up purchasing the Panasonic CQ-C7205U with ipod cable and toyota pocket.

next stop north hollywood...