Thursday, February 12, 2009

clutch finally replaced

I finally got my clutch replaced by Brad, a mechanic that previously worked at a local performance shop in Mira Mesa. It was a long day before the both of us. He worked on several Supra clutch jobs, so he pretty much knew what to do.

I had everything set aside for the job.

  • Aisin OEM Clutch

  • Throw-out Bearing

  • Release Bearing

  • Rear Main Oil Seal

There were a few things that I needed to get done. I still had to pick up some gear oil and had to get flwheel resurfaced. It took about 2 to 3 hours to have the clutch removed. He first removed my undertray, then removed my exhaust out of the way to unbolt the drive-shaft, and then remove the transmission.

After the transmission was out we dropped the the flywheel off to get resurfaced at local Poway Machine shop. The machine shop did an awesome job. Luckily, Poway Toyota was nearby so i picked up 3 bottles of gear oil and an gasket for the transmission plug

When we got back Brad focused his attention to the rear main oil seal. He inspected my current rear main seal and told me it was still good. I already had purchased a new rear main oil seal, so I decided while the transmission is out to replace the oil seal. Removing the rear main oil required me to change my oil in the process... I remembered that I was due for an oil change. The timing was perfect.

I went out again to pick up 6 quarts of motor oil and a filter. When I got back from the store Brad had already drained the oil from the car and removed the part that holds the rear main seal. He then used a hammer to remove the seal from its enclosure.

The process of putting everything back together was a long. It took the rest of the afternoon and evening to get everything done. Putting back the transmission was tricky. Since we didn't have a lift Brad and his friend Kyle had to lift the transmission up. I was responsible of position the jack below the transmission and making sure its at an appropriate height so they can bolt it on.

... We finished at around 11pm. Brad told me to come back tomorrow to finish a few things but majority of the work was done. He was really tired and wanted to rest up. So we took the car for the test drive and everything went well. When I drove my car back home I noticed that the pedal felt light than before. It felt a little different from the stock clutch but still engaged at the same level.

So i realized that a clutch job on a Supra definitely takes a days worth of work. If we only had a lift the job would be easier. But we had to make due with what we had.